In the 1880’s Fred Harvey provided first-class accommodations and food along the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. At a time when there were, “no ladies west of Dodge City.” Harvey made a point to hire young, attractive, courteous women, known as the Harvey Girls. Code’s and signals between the dining rooms and the railroad helped provide quick and precise service based on the railroad’s strict schedule. A four course meal could be served on fine china and linens, in a matter of minutes. Harvey is credited with having the first chain restaurants in America, and was a fixture of the American West until the 1960’s.
This is a modern version of the Harvey House Cup and Saucer. It is boxed in decorative packaging with a tag referring to “The Cup Code” and the emblem is fashioned after original china patterns of the Fred Harvey Restaurants. The collectable Cup and Saucer will exclusively be available at Boot Hill Museum and the Dodge City Santa Fe Depot.